MARLON QUINTOS

stimulate your mind...
come and enter my world...

MARLON QUINTOS

15.6.07

Fruit of Boredom

It's a very hot day. Too hot to enjoy summer. My day is restless. I feel bored. Maybe I need to do something. I read some of my favorite books. I know, I read them a couple of times before. But it doesn't matter. I still find my idols' works as amusing as the first time i read them.
While watching ASAP, I scan the pages of Jessica Zafra's Twisted 5 and Twisted 6. I like Jessica Zafra's writings. I find her works amazing and amusing at the same time. Her looks alone is enough to bring in me a sense of nostalgia. Her vintage looking eyeglasses make me remember my mom's picture while attending a "pasayaw" in a town fiesta sometime in the 1960's. I can also relate much on her not-so-pointed nose. Her looks makes me think I belong to the top 30% of this world's population when it comes to cuteness. Going back to her works, I like the way she cannibalizes herself for her own consumption. The way she recounted her experiences makes me feel she lives a very colorful life or makes it appear so. She makes the experience of being frisk by security guards of Glorietta or Megamall appear bigger than a mere security issue. It is more of a social isse and a person's concept of aesthetics. I one of her articles, she says that she is a "usual suspect" when she goes to malls, her bag is always closely examined like a laboratory specimen hoping to find explosive or a detailed plan of a terrorist attack - and this simply because of her looks. Fortunately, unlike her, I enjoy the luxury of entering malls with less scrutiny, and without being frisked at times. Well, not because I look extremely godly gorgeous but because, as one of my colleague once said, "Marlon looks decent and always smells good." And if you don't really know me well, you will find me shy, timid and boring. But I beg to disagree. I'm capable of plotting a coup and perhaps dominating the world. Ok, enough of me and Jessica Zafra - you might think she's my love interest.
By now, ASAP is over and I'm watching Your Song with Nikki Gil and Zanjoe Marudo. Call me nuts but I watch these stuff especially when I feel lazy, when I don't want to think much. THese are the shows that you already know the ending just by listening to the background music. And ok, I'll be honest, I have this what they call "pangmasa" taste. That's what I like about Bob Ong's works - comical, satirical, true - patok na patok. Some of the books of Bob Ong are what I considered as my precious collection of literary works. His works are easy to ingest, easy to digest and therefore have greater impact. Some of my frieds who read my works say that I write like him. But I refuse. I am not a clone of anyone. I wrote my first satirical essay in high school, around 1994 and my first published comic story was in 1999 under the name of teh "infamous" Paquito Paquiao (Pac Pac for short). At these times, I had not read any of his works nor heard his name in my dreams yet. Is he my clone then? I won't accept that. I'm younger, fresher, and conceited at times. But I'm not a narcissist.
The sun is about to rest. The heat is no longer as intensed as it was when I starting this article. I think this is done. I don't feel bored anymore. Killing time isn't really that bad afterall.

No comments: